Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo



I can't include one of my own pictures with this because I was too lazy to make it look that pretty. And the buns we had were too small and squished, and we didn't put any beautiful lettuce or tomato or avocado on the burgers, and they were "charmingly" misshapen, and overall, they didn't look that great. BUT! They were really good and supa healthy. We got the recipe from Skinnytaste.  I won't bother re-writing the recipe; the only change we made was leaving the hot sauce out of the burgers.

I thought they were really tasty black bean burgers, and they held up well during cooking (I've made some egg-free versions that just fell apart before). They're also pretty easy to make if you have a food processor. The chipotle mayo was awesome and really, really easy. Just get a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from the Hispanic section of the grocery store, scoop some of the sauce out, and mix it with mayo. That stuff is incredibly flavorful, and if you make the chipotle mayo with lite/fat-free mayo, it's a really low-cal topping/dip. Yay! I give this my thumbs up.

Michael was a little disappointed by the texture—it was undeniably mushy, even though it held together. I wasn't bothered by it being squishy, but (a) I've had a lot more black bean burgers than he has so I'm used to it, and (b) I wasn't comparing it to a meat burger like he was. Anyway, we both agreed that the flavors were good and that the chipotle mayo was a really fun substitute for ketchup and mustard, but I guess the texture of the burgers isn't for everyone (especially not die-hard meat lovers).

No comments:

Post a Comment