Thursday, February 16, 2012

BUTTER!!!

Wondering what I did with all that leftover whipped cream from last night? Well, I knew it wouldn't last much longer. In fact, it would probably mostly deflate just from being in the fridge overnight. So I decided to leave the leftover whipped cream in the Kitchenaid, rev it up, and let it whip that cream into butter.



BUTTER, Y'ALL!!!

Yup. So I kept it going on high speed for...maybe 5-10 minutes? After a while, it started looking curdly and I was worried that something had gone wrong, but a few minutes after that, it just...turned into butter! Seriously, it was churning away, and I left the kitchen to go tell Michael something, and suddenly I heard a loud thwack-thwack-thwack from the kitchen. I of course assumed that my dear darling Kitchenaid had exploded (have I mentioned it's from 1965? yeah...), but it turned out that the butter had just...suddenly coalesced into a big lump. Which I retrieved from the mixer, and which I now display proudly. (It also left a bunch of buttermilk sitting at the bottom of the mixer, which I also retrieved, but never ended up using in anything. This kind of buttermilk is not the same as buttermilk from the store, which is fermented and slightly sour.)

Anyway, unfortunately, this butter was not as good as store-bought butter. I wasn't surprised that it was so pale, but the flavor was pretty weak, too. Bummer. It was still a fun experiment, and not a bad way to use up whipped cream that you know you won't eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment