Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Onion Cheese Omelet and Watermelon Smoothie

Michael made dinner tonight and it smelled too good to consider leaving the table to get my camera with all the delicious aromas wafting up at me. So, no picture. But it was very tasty.

Heat 1 tbsp oil and saute 1 onion, chopped, until it's golden brown. Salt vigorously. In a separate bowl, whisk up 4 eggs. Salt and pepper them vigorously again. Pour them in the pan with the cooked onion and do the omelet thing. When you're done, top with 3/4 cup grated cheese (we had some fun rosemary-crusted something in our cheese drawer) and then fold in half.

Michael and I split the omelet and each half came to slightly under 400 calories. I will say, though, that it was heavy. Also really, really good from all the cheese and salt, but man. I am not used to such high-fat dinners. Anyway, it was way good but just for the sake of my gall bladder, I'd probably make it with half as much cheese and some steamed veggies instead next time.

We had an old watermelon that had been sitting on our counter for weeks, and it wasn't rotten or anything, but it had gotten pretty mealy--way too mealy to eat and enjoy. So I whirred up a quarter of it with some other stuff and made a really delicious smoothie! Hooray!

Watermelon smoothie

3-4 cups watermelon
1 banana (we used a frozen one for maximum coldness)
1 cup ice cubes
1 cup milk (or, since we had no milk, cow or otherwise, I improvised with 1/2 cup half-and-half and 1/2 cup watermelon. Half and two quarters?)

Blend it all up and drink it. I think we calculated that even with the half-and-half, 1 serving (out of 4 servings) of this comes out to around 120 calories or something. Very reasonable! I just got some coconut milk and I'm going to make more of it with that. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment