Monday, January 30, 2012

"Chickpea of the sea" sandwiches and yam chips



I ran across an idea to make a chickpea salad sandwich instead of a tuna salad sandwich. The blog author called it "chickpea of the sea," heh.

On top of making the classic sandwich vegetarian-friendly, I also really like the idea of getting extra fiber and losing extra fat while still being rock-solid on the protein front. Hooray chickpeas! I adapted the recipe slightly, based on making it extra healthy and also making it with what we had in the fridge:

Pulse a can of chickpeas in the food processor for a few seconds, until it's very roughly chopped.

Add the following:
1/4 cup fat-free mayo
1.5 tbsp white vinegar
1.5 tbsp mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1-2 sliced green onions
a few cranks of freshly ground pepper
salt to taste

Then pulse for a few more seconds, or until everything's mixed and the texture is where you want it. I actually ended up adding a little water to loosen it up, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

Then we ate it on sandwiches with some spinach leaves. Michael liked it more than I did--I made a double recipe (since the original said it only made two sandwiches!), and he finished off all the leftovers. The double recipe ended up being enough for 8-10 sandwiches (sheesh), and it was still gone within three days. But the flavors were very [chicken/tuna/chickpea/egg]-salad-sandwich-y, with the mayo and celery seed and mustard, and I really liked that.

Overall rating: not mind-blowing, but still tasty and extra points for being so dang good for you. I'll give it a B.

We also made yam chips. Michael sliced up a whole, washed-but-unpeeled sweet potato on the mandoline, and we laid them out on baking sheets, sprayed them with vegetable oil spray, coated with salt, and baked them at ~400 until they were crispy. Future note to self: watch these carefully. We burned the tray on the bottom of the oven, and that was a bummer. But I thought they were really good, in spite of the minor hassle of laying out each individual yam slice on the baking sheets, and I'd make them again. We also made two variations--one with salt plus Cajun spice mix, and one with just salt. The Cajun was interesting but I preferred the plain salt ones; it let the yam flavor come through better.

Overall rating: Yum! I liked these more than Michael did. I'll give them...an A-? I don't know; this grading scale is super arbitrary, but I thought they were yummy and I'd make them again. So...there ya go.

No comments:

Post a Comment